Virtual Chronic Pain Self-Management Program
What is the Chronic Pain Self-Management Program (CPSMP)?
The Chronic Pain Self-Management Program is a six-week workshop that helps people with chronic pain to better manage their symptoms and their daily lives. The workshop provides information and teaches practical skills. It gives people the confidence and motivation they need to manage the challenges of living with chronic pain.
How is this program delivered virtually?
Offered virtually, registered participants can join from their homes via web. This program will be delivered via Zoom Meeting.
Who can attend?
• Chronic musculoskeletal pain (such as chronic neck, shoulder, back pain, etc.)
• Whiplash injuries
• Chronic regional pain syndromes
• Repetitive strain injury
• Chronic pelvic pain
• Post-surgical pain that lasts beyond 6 months
• Neuropathic pain (often caused by trauma)
• Neuralgias (such as post herpetic pain, and trigeminal neuralgia)
• Post-stroke or central pain
• Persistent headache
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Diabetes and who have neuropathy
• Severe muscular pain due to conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis
• as well as their family, friends and/or caregivers.
What technology/equipment do I need to attend this program?
To join this program, participants will require access to:
• an electronic device (computer, smartphone or tablet)
• a stable internet connection
Registered participants will receive an orientation session to join the virtual platform prior to the workshop start.
What does it cost to attend?
It is FREE to participants. Participants receive for free the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain course book and the Moving Easy Program CD. Participants must pre-register for the program and are encouraged to attend all six sessions.
What happens in the program?
Workshop groups meet virtually once a week for 2.5 hours, over six weeks. There are 8-10 participants in each workshop. In the workshop, you will learn how to:
• use techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, isolation and poor sleep;
• exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance;
• use of medications;
• communication skills;
• healthy eating;
• pacing activity and rest;
• goal setting; and
• how to evaluate new treatments
Participants take an active role in the workshop. They set individual goals each week and work to accomplish their goals throughout the following week. Participants are asked to share their goals and progress with the group.
Who leads the program?
The program is led by two individuals who also live with chronic pain. Our peer facilitators attend a four day training, receive ongoing coaching, are remunerated, and are part of an active community of practice.
Who developed the program?
The modified version of the virtual Chronic Pain Self-Management Program was designed and licensed by the Self-Management Resource Centre. It follows a standardized format that has been proven to help people learn to better manage symptoms. It is considered a best practice program in self-management.
How do I get involved?
Please review the list of ongoing workshops on our home page or contact us.
Registration available until Monday, May 15, 2023
- Upon registration we will provide detailed information to join the workshop.