Toolkit Program – Chronic Pain Self-Management
What is the Toolkit Program – Chronic Pain Self-Management?
The Chronic Pain Self-Management Toolkit Program is a modified version of the Chronic Pain Self-Management Program. This six-week long program helps people with chronic pain to better manage their symptoms and their daily lives. The workshop provides information and teaches practical skills. It gives people the confidence and motivation they need to manage the challenges of living with chronic pain.
How is this program delivered?
This program is delivered over the phone. The primary audience for these programs are individuals without computer access, or those who are unable to use computer-based technology, or participate in face-to-face programs.
What is in the Toolkit?
Participants receive a tool kit by mail prior to the start of the program. Each toolkit includes:
• Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain (comes with Moving Easy Program)
• Relaxation for mind & body CD
• Self-test, tip sheets, and exercise booklet
Who can attend?
• Chronic musculoskeletal pain (such as chronic neck, shoulder, back pain, etc.)
• Whiplash injuries
• Chronic regional pain syndromes
• Repetitive strain injury
• Chronic pelvic pain
• Post-surgical pain that lasts beyond 6 months
• Neuropathic pain (often caused by trauma)
• Neuralgias (such as post herpetic pain, and trigeminal neuralgia)
• Post-stroke or central pain
• Persistent headache
• Inflammatory Bowel Disease
• Diabetes and who have neuropathy
• Severe muscular pain due to conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis
• as well as their family, friends and/or caregivers.
What does it cost to attend?
It is FREE to participants. Participants must pre-register for the program and are encouraged to attend all six sessions.
What happens in the program?
Program groups join a weekly teleconference call for 1 hour, over six weeks. There are 4-6 participants in each program. In the program, you will learn how to:
• use techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, isolation and poor sleep;
• exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility and endurance;
• use of medications;
• communication skills;
• healthy eating;
• pacing activity and rest;
• goal setting; and
• how to evaluate new treatments
Participants take an active role in the workshop. They set individual goals each week and work to accomplish their goals throughout the following week. Participants are asked to share their goals and progress with the group.
Who leads the program?
The program is led by an individual who also lives with chronic pain. Our peer facilitators attend a four day training, receive ongoing coaching, are remunerated, and are part of an active community of practice.
Who developed the program?
The modified version of the Chronic Pain Self-Management Toolkit Program was designed and licensed by the Self-Management Resource Centre. It follows a standardized format that has been proven to help people learn to better manage symptoms. It is considered a best practice program in self-management.
How do I get involved?
Please review the list of ongoing workshops on our home page or contact us.
Registration available till Thursday, April 29, 2021
- By phone
- Upon registration we will provide detailed information to join the workshop.